Hans Arp’s second wife Marguerite Arp-Hagenbach contributed a large part of the estate of Hans Arp and Sophie Taeuber-Arp to the Stiftung Arp e.V.‘s collection. The Foundation therefore possesses a considerable part of the artistic estate of both artists and an archive of historic documents. The collection is supplemented by a library.
In 2010 the Stiftung Arp e.V. opened its archive for research purposes. “Hans Arp Skulpturen. Eine Bestandsaufnahme” (Stuttgart 2012), edited by Arie Hartog with the assistance of Kai Fischer, was published in 2012. This publication provides a comprehensive catalogue and analysis of all heretofore known casts of the sculpture of Hans Arp and their provenance. In addition to including Hartog’s data on these works, the online database encompasses the latest supplementary information. Updated continuously, it reflects the most current state of research.
In the future, it is planned to include work by Hans Arp in different media, including relief, drawing and printmaking in the database. Sophie Taeuber-Arp’s work will also be entered gradually.
We welcome information on works by Hans Arp and Sophie Taeuber-Arp in public and private collections or with as-yet unknown provenance. Submitted information will be handled with the utmost confidence. The information may be sent to: email@example.com
- Sculptures (bronze, plaster, limestone) can be researched via the database
- Works on paper (drawings, prints, collages, portfolios)
- Printing blocks
- Book illustration
The Stiftung Arp e.V. owns the most comprehensive collection of her work, including:
- Works on paper (drawings, prints, gouaches, drawings for furniture, interiors, marionettes)
- Textiles (cushions tapestries, lace)
- An album compiled by Sophie Taeuber-Arp is kept at the Stiftung Arp, which collects photos of her applied and architectural works and is available as a reprint from our bookshop and the Spanish publisher Ivorypress
All works of the Foundation’s collection can be researched on the website of the Sophie Taeuber-Arp Research Project STARP.
Artist friends & group works
- Works by Max Ernst, Sonia and Robert Delaunay, Francis Picabia, Michel Seuphor, Raoul Hausmann, Richard Huelsenbeck, Tristan Tzara and many more
- Biographical photos of Sophie Taeuber-Arp, Hans Arp, their friends, and family
- Correspondence of Hans Arp and Marguerite Arp-Hagenbach after 1945 with art historians, collectors, gallery owners, museum curators, publicists, publishers, foundries, including extensive correspondence with art historian Carola Giedion-Welcker and Arp’s American gallery dealers Sidney Janis and Curt Valentin (in copy)
Other print products (e.g. Invitation cards)
- Literature by and about Hans Arp and Sophie Taeuber-Arp
- Books from Hans Arp’s personal library
- Historic exhibition catalogues and magazines, especially of the 1920s and 1930s
- Catalogues on Art of Dadaism and Surrealism
- Publications on 20th century sculpture
The holdings are continuously digitized.